Applications are now being taken for the North Myrtle Beach Public Safety Department's 2013 Citizens Police Academy. The nine week academy begins October 7 and graduation is scheduled for December 2. Applications are due by September 25.
Academy participants will meet each Monday evening, 7:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m., at the North Myrtle Beach Department of Public Safety Building located at 1015 2nd Avenue South.
Participants will learn about the department's various divisions, including Patrol, Traffic Investigation, Fire Prevention & Tactical Rescue, Marine Patrol, Crime Scene Investigations, Alcohol Enforcement Team, and Crime Prevention. While the Citizens Police Academy is not designed to qualify participants as police officers, it provides participants a lot of insight into what law enforcement officers do on a daily basis and why, and many of the decisions they must make. The classroom atmosphere is positive and highly interactive. Participants are always encouraged to ask questions and discuss topics of interest with instructors.
Application criteria are as follows:
· Applicants must be at least 21 years old.
· Applicants must live or work in North Myrtle Beach.
· Applicants must complete a personal history form.
· Applicants must undergo a background investigation and a criminal history check.
· Applicants must attend at least seven of the nine meetings to graduate.
For more information, please contact Crime Prevention Officer Julie Smith at 843-281-3706.