MARLBORO COUNTY, SC (WBTW) – Many parents in the Marlboro County School District are still on edge this week after threats were sent to people in their district last week causing them to cancel the back to school convocation last Friday.
Carl Locklear says he has four grandchildren in the district, and the threats have been scaring him all week.
“Everyone’s so scared. They’re still scared. Some of the kids still aren’t going to school,” said Locklear.
He says that’s the case for many students in the Marlboro County School District.
“Mine are going, my grand kids are going, but they’re scared to death,” said Locklear.
Locklear’s grandchildren attend McColl Elementary, one of the schools threatened in anonymous letters sent to the district last week.
Marlboro County School Board Chair Lucy Parsons says people in the district received three letters, and one threatened a Columbine or Sandy Hook style shooting.
“With the world the way it is today, when people mention things like that, everybody springs into action,” said Parsons.
Parsons says that’s why she called a special board meeting Thursday night to talk about how the district handled the threats.
News 13 reached out to the district multiple times. In regards to Thursday night’s special meeting, district representatives say they have no comment.
Henry Cobb with the Marlboro County School District did respond to questions regarding the safety of the children.
“We are off to a great start. Safety continues to be our number one priority. We sincerely thank our parents for having confidence in our school system,” said Cobb.
Parsons says she hopes the meeting will help all parents better understand what happened and what’s being done to protect their children.
That meeting will be held Thursday August 20th at 6:00 pm in the Marlboro County High School Media Center, and the public is invited to attend.