No QB choice yet for Spurrier, Gamecocks

COLUMBIA (AP) – Steve Spurrier says South Carolina’s offense improved Saturday, just not enough to show a clear frontrunner among the four players competing for starting quarterback.

The Gamecocks coach says he’s happier with the offensive showing in the team’s second stadium scrimmage of fall camp. However, he says Connor Mitch, Perry Orth, Michael Scarnecchia and Lorenzo Nunez didn’t separate themselves in the race.

South Carolina opens the season Sept. 3 against North Carolina in Charlotte.

Mitch is a third-year sophomore who was expected to take control of the job from last year’s senior record-setter Dylan Thompson. But Mitch threw two interceptions and didn’t have a touchdown in the closed session.

The biggest offensive play came from tailback Brandon Wilds, who broke off a 70-yard TD run.

Comments are closed.