COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) – South Carolinians who were unable to work amid the October flooding disaster have received more than $1.2 million in unemployment benefits.
The State newspaper reports (http://bit.ly/1OCQFu7 ) that more than 2,100 people received flood-related jobless benefits. According to the state Department of Employment and Workforce, nearly 6,100 people had applied after the Oct. 2-5 storm that closed roads and businesses.
Business owners, employees and the self-employed could receive benefits if they could prove they lost income because of the disaster.
Agency spokesman Bob Bouyea says some applicants were determined ineligible because they left their jobs before the flood or their employers had previously scheduled a shutdown during that period.
Bouyea says most applicants sought a week or two of benefits.
The most claims by far came from hard-hit Richland County.