Carbon monoxide poisoning claims lives of elderly SC couple


GREENVILLE, SC (WSPA) – The Greenville County Coroner’s Office says an elderly couple found dead in their home died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Robert Bell, 87, and 86-year-old Ruby Bell were found by their son Saturday morning in their home on Mountain Brook Trail.

The coroner’s office says the couple’s son reported a strong odor of gasoline exhaust and he said the generator was coated in a dark film from the exhaust.

The couple had been without power since Friday morning and likely died Friday evening, according to the coroner.

Duncan Chapel Fire officials want to warn others on the dangers of carbon monoxide during the winter months. They advise to leave all heating alternatives, like generators, outside.

“Accidents happen, you know?” Chief Russell Watson said. “If the door closes accidentally, or anything, the house becomes filled with carbon monoxide. You really don’t even know it is happening until it is too late.”

Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas. Fire officials suggest putting carbon monoxide detectors on each level of your home.

Comments are closed.