MYRTLE BEACH, SC – The Myrtle Beach Highland Games & Heritage Festival, celebrating this Inaugural event March 18-19, 2016 is pleased to announce the Games are coming to Grand Park at Market Common. The Highland Games are popular throughout the Carolinas and are renowned for its outstanding entertainment, top Scottish musicians, professional athletes, and champion Bagpipe & Drum Bands from all over the Southeast. An exciting array of authentic food, merchandise, souvenirs, and beverages from Scotland and Great Britain will be available for purchase.
Opening Ceremonies will feature a Mass Pipe Band Performance, a Parade of Tartans, the March of the Clans and Societies, as well as National Anthems performed from Scotland, Ireland, Canada and the United States.
Music! Music! Music!
The appearance of the featured high-energy Celtic rock group ‘Tuatha Dea” will delight audiences along with the band SYR (sire) from Columbia, South Carolina. The event will feature the Ripley’s Rutkus Drum Corps along with the Myrtle Beach Regional Pipe Band and others from across the Southeast.
“Can’t Miss” Events
Professional “Heavy” athletics, The Medieval Times Patron Games, Ripley’s Kids Glen games & activities, Educational Clan Booths, Scotch Whisky Tastings, Border Collie demonstrations, a featured Céilídh (prounounced kay-lee) Welcome Party on Friday night, and much, much more.
How big is it?
The festival has seven large entertainment areas.
- The Heavy Athletics (Professional Men & Women Athletes)
- The Medieval Times Patron Games (a Heavy Athletics for the spectators)
- The Celtic Marketplace (authentic and local vendors)
- The Clan Village (Clans & Societies Information)
- The Ripley’s Kids Glen (Tons of Kids Games)
- The Food Court (Authentic and Local Favorite Foods)
- The Entertainment & Cultural Center (Celtic Bands & History Demonstrations)
More than 25 colorful tents will represent various Scottish Clans and families from South Carolina, North Carolina and beyond.
Scottish foods & ales including: haggis, fish & chips, meat pies, and bangers will be available as well as American festival foods.
Stuff to buy
Vendors with a wide variety of merchandise from Scotland & Great Britain will be displaying their inventory of authentic tartan wear, kilts for the gentlemen and ladies, crafts, books, and gift items. Also find unique Celtic designed crafts, jewelry, and art.
Todd Cartner, the festival’s Event Director says, “This is something Myrtle Beach has yet to experience. There are so many ways for people to participate in this festival; through sponsorship, advertising, performing, volunteering or just attending – everyone has an opportunity to take part in the festival’s success while having a great time.”
The Festival and Games are open to the general public and is an event for the entire family, with most activities scheduled continuously throughout the day. Musical entertainment is held in several areas, including the large Entertainment & Cultural Center. An attendance in excess of 10,000 is expected for the two day event.
Tentative plans for the inaugural Myrtle Beach festival include:
• Highland Games sanctioned and judged by the Southeastern Highland Athletics Group and the Highland Games League.
• a Céilídh (‘kay-lee’ or community welcome party) on Friday Night from 6:00 PM – 10:00 PM
• a Kilted Fun Run for the Kids
• a Celtic March of the Tartan’s
• Live performances of traditional and modern Celtic music
• Live performances of Bagpipe and Drum corps
• Live entertainment of Border Collie demonstrations
• Celtic themed arts and crafts, food, beverage and business vendors
• Heritage displays featuring family history and genealogy of the clans
• Audience participation events for both adults and children
Date: March 18-19, 2016
Time: The Ceilidh Welcome Party – Friday – 6:00 PM – 10:00 PM
The Highland Games & Heritage Festival – Saturday – 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Location: Grand Park at Market Common
1004 Crabtree Lane
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
Tickets: ON SALE NOW on the website www.myrtlebeachhighlandgames.com/tickets
Friday Night Céilídh – Live Music Festival
Adult (18+) Presale: $5.00 Gate: $7.00
Children (17 and under) FREE
Saturday Highland Games & Heritage Festival
Adult (13+) Presale: $10 Gate: $12
Children (6-12) Presale: $5 Gate: $6
Children (5 and under) FREE FREE
Seniors (65+) Presale: $5 Gate: $6
Whiskey Tastings Online Presale Only: $35 (Limit 25 per tasting)