RED SPRINGS, NC (WBTW) – Robeson County deputies arrested 10 people, with more arrests expected, for an illegal cockfighting ring in Red Springs Saturday night.
Sheriff Ken Sealey says his office received a call Saturday night in reference to a large group of people fighting chickens. Deputies were dispatched to a location on Sumac Drive where they found 25 to 30 people gathered around the chickens. Deputies seized 25 vehicles that were parked at the home where the fighting was discovered, adds Sheriff Sealey.
Although officials were unsure of exactly how many chickens were at the home, Sheriff Sealey says numerous chickens were injured and had to be euthanized, multiple chickens had fighting gear on and and several more were already deceased when deputies arrived. Needles for injections were also discovered at the address, confirms Sheriff Sealey.
The following people have been charged with cockfighting, a felony in North Carolina:
- Lee Ann Lambert, 30, of Red Springs
- Alysia Martinez, 18, of Red Springs
- Aleyha Taylor, 18, of Red Springs
- Kristie Lynn Locklear, 27, of Red Springs
- Annie Lambert, 20, of Lumberton
- Julious Oxendine, 57, of Rowland
- Geneva Locklear, 37, of Maxton
- Samantha Nicole Locklear, 26, of Red Springs
- Gregory Jacobs, 44, of Red Springs
- Sheila Ann Lambert, 36, of Red Springs. Lambert is also charged with resisting, delaying or obstructing an officer.