CONWAY, S.C. (PRESS RELEASE)- On Friday, April 1, 2016, Coast RTA will implement its 2016 spring service changes and route realignments. The spring service rollout follows the series of public meetings held throughout January and February discussing Coast RTA’s proposed route service changes including: realignments of Routes 10, 15 North, 15 South and 16 and extension of service until 8 PM daily.
“Overall we received positive input from the passengers who attended the meetings. We listened to their concerns and reviewed our proposed route realignments to better serve our passengers and their needs,” said Coast RTA General Manager Brian Piascik. “The route realignment and modifications enable us to provide more efficient service with additional improvements to the bus system scheduled for summer 2016 including: the implementation of designated stops system-wide with signs and the phasing out of flag stops; and, the introduction of smart phone-based public information program with real-time service updates. Passengers will know the location of their bus in real-time and if it’s running on time or if they’ll need to wait a few minutes at the designated bus stop.”
The following Coast RTA routes/times are effective Friday, April 1 (Please note the Myrtle Beach Transfer Station is located on 10th Avenue/Mr. Joe White, across from City Hall):
- Route 10 –Route 10, which leaves the Myrtle Beach Transfer Station and includes Broadway at the Beach, Coastal Grand Mall, has been modified to accommodate the local Myrtle Beach neighborhoods and no longer serves the Myrtle Beach International Airport (see Route 15 South for new service to the Airport). Service will be provided from the Myrtle Beach Transfer Station from 8 AM – 8 PM daily.
- Route 15 North (to 82nd and Grand Strand Hospital) – Route 15 North leaves the Myrtle Beach Transfer Station and has moved all bus stops to Kings Highway (Highway 17 Business) from 9th Avenue North until 38th Avenue North. Route 15 North will continue to serve designated bus stops along Ocean Boulevard from 38th Avenue North to 82nd Avenue North. Service will be provided from the Transfer Station 7 AM – 8 PM daily.
- Route 15 South (to Market Common) – Route 15 South has been modified to serve South Kings Highway (Highway 17 Business) instead of Ocean Boulevard. Major destinations include the Myrtle Beach International Airport (both inbound and outbound), as well as Market Common locations: Warbird Park, HGTC Grand Strand Campus, Piggly Wiggly and the Veterans Administration Clinic. Service will be provided from the Transfer Station 7 AM – 8 PM daily.
- Route 16 – Route 16 modifications include new service to Tidelands Health Georgetown Memorial Hospital as a designated bus stop and moving service/designated stops to Highway 17 Bypass in Murrells Inlet. As of April 1, Route 16 move all service from Highway 17 Business/Restaurant Row in Murrells Inlet to Highway 17 Business. The realignments have incorporated additional physicians’ offices and services along “Medical Mile”, including Tidelands Health Waccamaw Community Hospital, which will be serviced by Route 16. Travel time between Georgetown and Myrtle Beach has been reduced by 18 minutes. Route 16 service is provided from the Georgetown Transfer Station from 6:15AM – 8PM daily.
- Route 21 aka Entertainment Shuttle – (Serves the Broadway at the Beach and downtown tourist attractions). This FREE service runs Memorial Day through Labor Day – 11 a.m. until 11 p.m. daily. Service will continue along Ocean Boulevard and serving select key attractions but does not visit the Myrtle Beach Transfer Station.
Alignments on Routes 1, 7, 7 Express and 16 Express will remain unchanged at this time. With daily service expansion until 8 PM, the following route schedule will apply as daily operating hours for each route – the initial morning schedules remain unchanged – for Route 1 –Last bus leaves Conway Terminal at 6 PM; Route 7 –Last bus leaves Myrtle Beach Transfer Station at 8PM; Route 7X – Last bus leaves Myrtle Beach Transfer Station at 8PM; Route 16/16X –last bus from Myrtle Beach to Georgetown leaves at 6:30PM and last bus from Georgetown to Conway leaves at 8 PM. Routes 7X and 16X have limited daily service. For full schedule of each Coast RTA route, visit www.RideCoastRTA.com.
Coast RTA operates the following fixed routes: No. 1 – Conway Circulator; No. 7 and No. 7 Express – Conway to Myrtle Beach; the No. 10 – Myrtle Beach Connector; the 15 North and 15 South, choice of routes with select stops along Kings Highway and Ocean Boulevard from 82nd Avenue North to Market Common; and, the 16 and 16 Express (Georgetown routes).
Coast RTA fixed routes are $1.50 per ride for adults; $1.25 students with ID; $.75 per ride for senior citizens/disabled citizens and FREE for children, ages 6 and younger (limit 3 with paid adult). The Express Route fare from Georgetown is $2 per ride for adults. All transfers are $.25 each. Anyone wishing to learn more about the route service changes and realignments is asked to call Coast RTA’s Customer Service at 843-488-0865 during Coast RTA business hours.
About Coast RTA.
Founded in 1983, Coast RTA provides public transportation for passengers to and from their desired points of interest, jobs, shopping, school and medical appointments in Horry and Georgetown Counties. Coast RTA complies with Americans with Disabilities Act. Coast RTA’s mission is to provide safe, reliable, affordable, clean and courteous mass public transportation that enhances the quality of life for residents and supports the growth of tourism.