NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. — A North Charleston Police officer is recovering after being attacked by a pit bull and two suspects are now facing drug charges.
Authorities say the incident happened on Thursday, April 21 just after 5:00 p.m. We’ve learned officers were trying to execute a search warrant for narcotics at a home on Redwood Avenue when an officer was attacked by a white pit bull who latched on to the officer’s arm.
According to the police report, the officer was bit on the left forearm by the dog.
The officer shot the dog, wounding it. At the same time, a second brown pit bull then charged at officers and was shot and died on scene.
Animal Control and EMS were dispatched to the location and the injured officer was transported to Roper Northwoods Hospital for treatment.
While at the scene, detectives located and collected the following items:
- black in color digital scale
- clear plastic bag containing green plant material that tested presumptive for THC inside of a cigarette pack
- paper documents addressed to Bernard Manigault
- brown marijuana cigar
- clear plastic bag with another clear plastic bag that contained a white powder substance which weight approximately 1 gram and tested presumptive for cocaine
- multiple paper mail documents
- clear plastic bag that contained a green plant material which weighed approximately 10.2 grams and tested presumptive for THC
- black in color Keltec .380 caliber pistol loaded with two rounds in the magazine and one round in the chamber
- clear plastic bag that contained a green plant material that weighed approximately 9.7 grams and tested presumptive for THC
- clear plastic bags and a digital scale
Bernard Manigault was charged with possession of marijuana second or greater, possession with intent to distribute cocaine, possession with intent to distribute cocaine within 1/2 mile of a school (Military Magnet Academy, visible from the incident address), distribution of marijuana, and distribution of marijuana within 1/2 mile of a school.
Bishawn Bell was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana second or greater.
We’re told animal control took custody of the white pit bull.