GRAPHIC VIDEO: Man fatally shot by police in MN; video investigated

FALCON HEIGHTS, Minn. (AP) – The Latest on a police shooting in suburban St. Paul, Minnesota (all times local):

Family members of the man fatally shot by a suburban Twin Cities police officer say he was a 32-year-old cafeteria supervisor at a Montessori school.

Clarence Castile told the Star Tribune his nephew, 32-year-old Philando Castile, died minutes after arriving at the hospital. Clarence Castile was at the Hennepin County Medical Center with other family members.

Clarence Castile says Philando Castile had worked in St. Paul’s J.J. Hill school cafeteria for 12 to 15 years. He says his nephew was a “good kid.”

SCROLL DOWN for video

Among other family members at the hospital was Philando Castile’s cousin, Antonio Johnson, who told the newspaper Castile was “a black individual driving in Falcon Heights who was immediately criminally profiled.”

Police have said the incident began when an officer initiated a traffic stop in suburban Falcon Heights but have not further explained what led to the shooting.


2 a.m.

An official says the police officer who fatally shot a man in Minnesota is on paid administrative leave pending an investigation.

St. Anthony Police interim police chief Jon Mangseth didn’t take any questions during an early morning news conference. He read aloud a brief statement the department issued earlier, then added that “the officer involved” had been put on standard leave.

Mangseth had said earlier that he wasn’t sure how many officers were involved in the shooting, which happened after a traffic stop.

He also said earlier that he didn’t have “much information” about what led to the shooting. Authorities have not identified the man who was killed.

A video posted Wednesday night on Facebook Live appeared to show an incident like the one police described.

The Associated Press couldn’t immediately verify the authenticity of the video. Mangseth said he had been “made aware there was a livestream on Facebook” but said he had not yet seen the video and didn’t know anything about its contents. He didn’t address it during the news conference.


1:20 a.m.

A Minnesota police department says a man has died after an officer-involved shooting.

The St. Anthony Police Department said in a statement early Thursday morning that the man, who was taken to a hospital after being shot, has died.

St. Anthony Police interim police chief Jon Mangseth told reporters at a news conference earlier that the incident began when an officer from his agency initiated a traffic stop around 9 p.m. Wednesday in Falcon Heights, a St. Paul suburb.

Mangseth said he didn’t have “much information” about what led to the shooting.

The statement doesn’t give further details, saying only that “shots were fired” during the stop.

Police did not immediately identify the victim.


1 a.m.

Local media report dozens of people congregated early Thursday morning in Falcon Heights near where police said the man was shot after an officer initiated a traffic stop. The man was taken to a hospital in unknown condition. It wasn’t immediately clear what led to the shooting.

KARE-TV reports the crowd was chanting, “We will stand our ground. We will not move,” as officer attempted to clear the area.

The TV station reports another crowd has gathered at the hospital where the man was taken.

WARNING: Graphic content contained in this video.

Comments are closed.