Man arrested for Myrtle Beach double homicide busted by his ankle monitor

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WBTW) – Calvin Ford, the man arrested and charged with the murder of two men on Warren Street in Myrtle Beach, fled the scene on Saturday but was found because of his ankle monitor.

Ford was given that ankle monitor after he was arrested and charged with attempted murder and possession of a weapon during a violent crime at the Fat Boiz night club in July 2015.

Ford was released from jail on bond after that incident but has been wearing the ankle monitor ever since.

Sergeant Rob Butler is in charge of the Home Detention Program with the Horry County Sheriffs Office, and he told News 13 Ford was restricted to house arrest a year ago. However, that restriction was decreased earlier this year to just a curfew. Ford had to stay within Horry County, but only had to be in his house between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.

Because of the ankle monitor, police were able to place Ford at the scene of the shooting on Saturday as well as the house he was arrested at on Sunday.

Fifteenth Circuit Solicitor, Jimmy Richardson, said its difficult to track people with ankle monitors once they are no longer on full-time house arrest.

“There’s got to be 400 or 500 people on ankle monitors right now,” said Richardson. “If you’re just having to watch, you can’t watch 400 people when they’re popping all around the county. And if you were watching them, you wouldn’t know what they were doing.”

Richardson added that ankle monitors are good for home detention, but they often do not change conduct.

Ford is expected to have a bond hearing on Tuesday morning. You can count on News 13 to keep you updated on this case. You can also read more about Ford and the men who were shot and killed here.

Comments are closed.