RALEIGH, N.C. – A teen girl found dead in a neighborhood pool in north Raleigh on Saturday afternoon drowned after entering the electrified water, an autopsy said.
Wake County Sheriff Donnie Harrison told CBS North Carolina that crews responded just after 2:30 p.m. to an area near 2226 Valley Forge Road for reports of an electrocution and/or possible drowning.
Authorities said Rachel Rosoff, 17, was found dead in the pool and pulled from the water.
Monday afternoon, Wake County officials released preliminary autopsy reports that confirmed Rosoff died after entering electrified water.
“The preliminary autopsy results are consistent with the decedent entering the pool that had an electrical charge that may have rendered the decedent unconscious apparently leading to drowning,” Wake County officials said in a release.
Rosoff was a member of a Triangle-area nonprofit called The Food Ark, according to the organization. The Food Ark is a student-lead-and-run certified nonprofit organization who aims to fight food insecurity.
Shiaoching Tse, president of The Food Ark, said Rosoff was a lifeguard at the pool near Heritage Point.
According to Rosoff’s Facebook page, she was an employee of the Aquatic Management Group based in Raleigh. A representative there also confirmed that Rosoff died on Saturday.
AMG released a statement to CBS North Carolina:
We are shaken by the loss of such a vibrant young life. Our deepest sympathy is extended to the family in this time of unfathomable grief. We are cooperating with investigators in every possible way and are hopeful that the investigation may provide an explanation for this tragedy.”
Neighbors said the pool opens up before noon on Saturday’s and usually has a lifeguard.
According to the events calendar on the community’s website, Sept. 5 is the last day the pool is open for the rest of the year.