PEMBROKE, NC – A search committee at The University of North Carolina at Pembroke has been formed to find a replacement for Provost Zoe Locklear, who is retiring. Chancellor Robin Gary Cummings presented the 15-member committee to the Board of Trustees on Friday, September 16. Dr. Locklear, who also serves as vice chancellor for Academic Affairs, announced in August that she will be retiring effective June 30, 2017. The committee includes a cross section of faculty, deans, staff, student body, alumni, UNCP Foundation, and a community college president. Dr. Richard Vela, a long-time English professor, will serve as committee chair.
Dr. Cummings is confident in Vela’s abilities as a proven leader to oversee the select group. Vela brings more than four decades as a professor in the English, Theatre & Foreign Language Department. “I am grateful Dr. Vela agreed to serve in this important role,” said Chancellor Cummings. “Having dedicated his distinguished career to teaching, scholarship and service at UNC Pembroke, Dr. Vela brings a wealth of valuable experiences and perspectives.” “We must look to the future for someone with both the experience, but importantly the vision to lead us where we need to go,” Vela said.
The committee includes:
- Richard Vela, professor, English, member of 2015 Chancellor Search Committee
- Cherry Beasley Anne Belk Endowed Professor, Nursing, UNCP Foundation Board member
- Kelli Blue, chair, UNCP Board of Trustees
- Nancy Crouch, associate vice chancellor for Technology
- Val Ford, professor, School of Education, member of 2015 Chancellor Search Committee
- Logan John, student body president, SGA, UNCP student
- Dan Kenney, chief of staff
- Rudy Locklear, immediate past president, UNCP Alumni Association, UNCP adjunct faculty member
- Mary Ann Masters, optometrist, Robeson County Arts Council president
- Dale McInnis, president, Richmond Community College
- Conner Sandefur, assistant professor, Biology
- Joe Sciulli, associate professor, School of Education, UNCP Faculty Senate member
- Frederick Stephens, assistant professor, Social Work
- Dennis Swanson, dean, Mary Livermore Library
- Stewart Thomas, associate dean, School of Business
UNC Pembroke is a constituent institution of the University of North Carolina system. For more information, contact Jodi Phelps, executive director of University Communications and Marketing, via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone (910.521.6863). Connect with UNC Pembroke on social media or online at uncp.edu to learn how the university is changing lives through education.