MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WBTW) The deadline for anyone wanting to vote in the upcoming presidential election is quickly approaching in South Carolina. Voter registration closes 30 days prior to every election which means Saturday October 8 is the last day to register if you want to vote in 2016
You can also register by mail or in person. Click here to find that information.
According to SCVotes.org, online applications must be submitted on or before the deadline to be valid for any specific election.
Online voter registration does not “turn off” at the deadline. Applications submitted after the deadline will be processed but will not be valid for that particular election.
Fax and email applications must be received by the voter registration office by the deadline to be valid for a particular election. Applications received after the deadline will be processed but will not be valid for that particular election.
Mail-in applications must be postmarked by the deadline.
In order to vote you must fit the following criteria.
- be a United States citizen -be at least eighteen years old on or before the next election
- be a resident of South Carolina, this county and precinct
- not be under a court order declaring you mentally incompetent
- not be confined in any public prison resulting from a conviction of a crime
- have never been convicted of a felony or offense against the election laws OR if previously convicted, have served the entire sentence, including probation or parole, or have received a pardon for the conviction.
There is no length of residency requirement in South Carolina in order to register to vote. You can register at any time.