GEORGETOWN, SC (WBTW) -With residents still concerned about possible flooding from Hurricane Matthew, many are searching for sandbags and information on how to use them effectively.
Georgetown County will have a public distribution of sandbags Wednesday until 7 p.m. and Thursday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., or until supplies run out. Sandbags may be picked up at Eight Oaks Park on Highway 521 in Georgetown. People picking up sandbags should enter through the main gate and turn left. Sandbags will be distributed on a first-come basis and limited to 10 per household. Proof of residency must be shown to receive sandbags.
How to use sandbags
When properly filled and placed, sandbags redirect storm and debris flows away from property improvements.
- Fill sandbags half full.
- Sand is suggested if readily available, but sand is not mandatory for this method of redirecting flows to be effective. Any type of soil may be used.
- For a more durable bag with increased effective life, mix 10 parts of sand or soil with 1 part of cement. The materials can be mixed and placed dry. After all bags are in place, a light sprinkling of water is recommended. This technique is only effective with burlap sandbags and will not work with plastic sandbags.
- When placing sandbags, fold the top of the sandbag down and rest bag on its folded top. It is important to place bags with the folded top toward the upstream or uphill direction to prevent bags from opening when water runs by them.
- Place each sandbag in layers, completing each layer prior to starting the next layer. Limit placement to two layers unless a building is used as a backing or sandbags are pyramided.
- Keep in mind that sandbags will not seal out water.
- Do not use straw or bales of hay in lieu of sandbags. They do not perform as well as sandbags and may be washed away.
In the meantime, residents can purchase sandbags at most hardware stores. Below is a list of stores that have notified us in the past that they generally offer sandbags and sand for sale:
• Georgetown Mill Supply, 609 S. Hazard St., Georgetown, (843) 546-8526
• Tractor Supply Company, 1295 N. Fraser St., Georgetown, (843) 546-5056\
• Palmetto Ace Hardware, 8317 S. Ocean Highway, Pawleys Island (843) 3555
• Lowes Home Improvement, 8672 Hwy. 17 Bypass South, Surfside Beach, (843) 650-1400
• Fastenal, 309 Resevoir St., Georgetown, (843) 520-0674