Robeson County DSS announces help for EBT recipients

LUMBERTON, NC (WBTW) – In a press conference updating Robeson County’s status in the wake of Hurricane Matthew, the Robeson County Dept. of Social Services says they are providing replacement EBT benefits for those who already qualify. Officials hope to know within a week if those who do not currently qualify can be come eligible.

Food and Nutrition Services recipients in North Carolina have until Oct. 18 to request replacement of their benefits if they experienced food losses that can be attributed to Hurricane Matthew.

The household must contact the county Department of Social Services to report the loss and qualify for replacement benefits.

For more information, call 2-1-1 or go to the United Way’s N.C. 211 site at The 211 the service is free, confidential and available in any language.

DSS in Robeson County has staff who will be at each Disaster Shelter to assist with the replacement of benefits. The county’s DSS also has sites throughout the county for all others who are currently receiving FNS (food stamps) to go to report their loss to receive their replacements.

The sites will be the following locations (hours are 8 am-5pm):

  • Proctorville Community Building – 105 S Pine Street
  • St Pauls Community Building – 111 N 3rd St (10:30am-5pm)
  • Maxton Resource Center – 103 N Florence Street
  • Parkton Town Hall – 28 W David Parnett St.
  • Lumber Bridge Community Center – 100 Railroad St
  • Pembroke Tribal Center – 6984 NC Hwy 711 W
  • Rowland New Hope Church – 210 MLK St. South
  • Fairmont Heritage Center – Main St.
  • Red Springs Court House – Main Street
  • Lumberton First Baptist Church – 606 N Walnut St

Additional food assistance for citizens not participating in the Food and Nutrition Services program is in process as state agencies work with the U.S. Department of Agriculture to provide data that will be used to identify qualifying counties in the state.

In the meantime, citizens may visit their county Department of Social Services to apply for regular Food and Nutrition Services. Contact information for local county offices is available at: