Girl saves family from possible fire

IRVINE, CA (KCBS/CBS Newspath)- Four-year-old Sammy Boyer is being called a hero after she smelled smoke and alerted her mother in time to call 911 and save their Irvine home.

Little Sammy is wise beyond her years, as you can tell when she describes how a fire almost broke out in her bedroom.

“I took my stuffed animal bunny to put away upstairs, but then I paused because I saw white smoke in my room,” Sammy said.

Sammy didn’t panic when she saw that. She just went downstairs and told her mom.

“She said, ‘Mom, I can’t go upstairs. There’s smoke in my room.’ Just so matter of fact and calm,” said Sammy’s mother, Katie Boyer.

Katie immediately called 911 and got both of her kids outside. Firefighters say the smoke was from the ceiling fan in the girl’s bedroom that had started to overheat, but they were able to disconnect it before a major fire broke out.

“Who knows where this could have gone? The smoke and fire could have gone up in the ceiling,” said Capt. Larry Kurtz of the Orange County Fire Authority.

Firefighters say when something sparks, seconds and minutes can make a difference, and that’s why it’s important to teach kids what to do.

But Katie says she can’t take all the credit for preparing her daughter.

“She went to preschool yesterday, and her teacher had a fire safety talk with all the kids. So, she was ready and she knew exactly what to do,” Katie said.

Sammy doesn’t know that what she did is that special, but she knows the friends she’s made since yesterday are pretty special.

“Firemen never came to our house before,” she said.