HazMat crews respond to Humane Society after urine-based ammonia hospitalizes worker

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WBTW) – A mix of urine-based ammonia and bleach sent one person to the hospital Monday morning after a hazardous material call at the Humane Society.

Lt. Jonathan Evans with Myrtle Beach Fire Department says they responded to the call around 11:10 a.m. Monday after a mix of urine-based ammonia and bleach were mixed in a washing machine at the Humane Society and the emission of the noxious gasses affected the person doing the laundry.

“We’re going to be disposing of many of the blankets and things that were in the laundry area to be washed,” says Grand Strand Humane Society Executive Director Suzanne Roman. “And if anyone could donate blankets to us right now, we really really need them, because we will have to throw all of those out. And we are flushing the area out and really making sure that it is safe for the animals and for people to go back in.”

Multiple engines, heavy rescue, and the MBFD hazardous material truck responded to the call. HazMat techs are working to clear the materials, but crews are not expecting any other injuries from the hazardous material, adds Lt. Evans.

The person affected by the gasses was taken to Grand Strand Regional Medical Center and was in stable condition at last check.

No animals were injured, according to Lt. Evans, as the hazardous materials and gasses stayed in the laundry room.