CONWAY, SC (WBTW) – The Conway Police Department wants to strengthen its relationship with the community and they’re using National Night Out as an opportunity to engage with neighbors.
“It’s a more relaxed setting where they can get to know us,” said Conway Police Sgt. Darren Alston. “We can show them how to have a safer community and how to be more aware of what’s going on in their surroundings.”
When people only see the police department responding to crime, such as the shooting early Sunday morning, it can be hard for community members to build trust with the officers. However, Sgt. Alston said the bottom line is still to protect and serve, and the department will do everything it can to strengthen their bond with residents.
Sgt. Alston said it’s also important for law enforcement agencies to work together to build trust. He wants the community to get to know the Horry County Sheriff’s Office and the Conway Police Department together at their National Night Out at Homewood Elementary at 6 p.m. Tuesday evening.
“We care and we’re there to help them in their communities,” said Sgt. Alston. “Come speak to us before tragedy and get suggestions. Just talk to us.”
Here is a list of National Night Out events across the Grand Strand:
- Conway: Aug. 1 – Homewood Elementary – 6 p.m.
- Horry County: Aug. 1 – Covington Lakes pool house – 6 p.m.
- Georgetown County Sheriff’s Office: Aug. 1 at 4 p.m. Pawleys Island Community Church
- Georgetown Police Department: Aug. 1 – 5 p.m. Georgetown Police Department
- Myrtle Beach: Oct. 3 – Check with your neighborhood watch group
- Surfside Beach: Aug. 1 – Piggly Wiggly – 122 Highway 17 North – 6 p.m.