DARLINGTON, SC – The Darlington County School District is currently seeking school bus drivers and will host a free driver training class Nov. 13-16. Drivers can earn between $11.19 and $16.13 per hour with bonus opportunities every 45 days.
The driver training class will be held Nov. 13-16 from 8 a.m. until 3 p.m. each day at the Darlington County Institute of Technology, located at 160 Pinedale Drive in Darlington. Anyone interested in participating must register by Friday, Nov. 10, at 3 p.m.
To be eligible to become a school bus driver, a person must be at least 18 years old, have a high school diploma or GED and have had a valid South Carolina driver’s license for at least one year.
There are several steps to becoming a school bus driver:
- Complete an application for employment and paperwork to attend a training class.
- Pass a SLED background check.
- Pass a check of license history with the DMV.
- Complete State Department of Education classroom training (Four days).
- Obtain a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) permit.
- Pass a physical and a drug test.
- Train with district instructors for a length of time to be able to perform pre-trip skills and driving.
- Ride a route for five days with a driver.
For more information or to register, call the Darlington County School District Office of Transportation at 843-398-2313.